And just like that, a concept is a concept no more. It’s a reality.
Wednesday, Chevrolet unveiled the production model 2017 Bolt EV, less than a year after revealing the all-electric concept car. Make no mistake about it, this is an important vehicle. And it doesn’t disappoint.
Chevrolet unveiled the long-awaited 2017 Bolt EV at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Wednesday. It is a car packed full of technology and priced around $30,000 (after $7,500 in tax credits.)
Here’s the bottom line. This is an electric car for the average Joe, like Chevrolet promised it would be, and what happens next is important for the entire auto industry. GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra was on hand herself for the EV’s big debut.
— Mary Barra (@mtbarra) January 6, 2016
“It was less than a year ago that we revealed the Bolt EV concept and promised to deliver a long-range electric vehicle attainable by the masses,” GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra said. “The Bolt EV is capable of using the latest mobile app technology to enable car sharing, advanced GPS routing and gamification, all designed to enhance the ownership experience now and into the future.”
The Bolt EV will go into production by the end of 2016 and will offer more than 200 miles of range when it’s fully charged. It also features advanced connectivity technologies designed to enhance and personalize the driving experience. They include OnStar 4G LTE, which turns the Bolt EV into a high-speed Wi-Fi hotspot.
It also features :
- 10.2’’ MyLink color touch-screen display
- Customizable, widget-based “flip-board style” operation
- Rear Camera Mirror
- Rear-facing camera provides a wide-angle view of the environment behind the vehicle.
- Surround Vision
- Provides a bird’s-eye view of what’s around the Bolt EV for improved safety during low-speed driving and when parking.
- All-New MyChevrolet Mobile App: Combines important owner and vehicle information and functions, such as:
- Vehicle charge status
- OnStar Map service
- Remote start
- Cabin pre-conditioning
- Owner’s manual information
- Dealer service scheduling
- EV Navigation Mapping
- EV-specific navigation capability that designs routes to maximize range and provide locations of nearby charging station locations if needed.
- In the future, Bolt EV owners will be able to “compete” by comparing driving styles to determine who is driving most efficiently.