FCA US LLC is now contacting customers who are eligible for certain recall-completion incentives announced earlier this month by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They involve either incentives or buybacks of certain vehicles subject to older recalls and you can be sure it’s a lot of fine print.
Basically, in June the NHTSA found Fiat Chrysler remiss in how it handled two dozen recalls and forced the automaker’s hand. The incentives are designed to boost completion rates for certain ongoing recalls involving older SUVs and model-year 2009-2012 trucks, for which remedies were not immediately available. They include $100 prepaid gift cards and vehicle-repurchase plans.
“Remedies are available, we are servicing vehicles and we encourage affected customers to contact their dealers,” says Scott Kunselman, Senior Vice President – Vehicle Safety and Regulatory Compliance. “It is imperative that all vehicles implicated by recalls are inspected and serviced, as required.”
Here are the details outlines in FCA’s press release:
Mailings to incentive-eligible customers affected by NHTSA recall 13V-252 (FCA US N45 and N46) are complete. The offers therein pertain to 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty SUVs that were unremedied as of July 24, 2015. If its status is “open,” it is unremedied and therefore eligible.
Mailings to eligible customers affected by NHTSA recalls 13V-038, 13V-527 and 13V-529 (FCA US N08, R16 and N49, respectively) began today. The offers therein pertain to the following vehicles, provided they were unremedied as of July 24, 2015:
- 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango SUVs produced from Jan. 3, 2008, through Dec. 18, 2008
- 2009-2012 Dodge Ram/Ram 1500 pickups produced from Feb. 27, 2008, through June 30, 2009; and from Dec. 1, 2009, through Oct. 20, 2011
- 2009-2011 Dodge Dakota pickups produced from Feb. 27, 2007, through June 30, 2009; and from Dec. 1, 2009, through Sept. 30, 2011
- 2008-2012 Dodge Ram/Ram 2500 and 3500 4×4 pickups
- 2008-2012 Dodge Ram/Ram 2500 4×2 Cab Chassis vehicles
- 2008 Dodge Ram/Ram Mega Cab 4×4 pickups
- 2008-2012 Dodge Ram/Ram 4500 and 5500 trucks produced from Feb. 20, 2007, through December 2012
Alternately, customers may negotiate trade-ins on new vehicles – a program that expires at midnight, Jan. 4, 2016 – or opt for a repurchase plan that, like the prepaid card incentives, has no expiration date.
To take advantage of the trade-in offer, a customer and dealer establish a value for the trade-in vehicle, complete the purchase of a new vehicle and receive – in addition to all current applicable incentives – a $2,000 incentive on a Ram-brand vehicle or $1,000 on a Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge or Fiat vehicle.
To participate in the repurchase program, customers are instructed – beginning Sept. 1, 2015 – to visit www.fcarecall.com to see a preliminary estimated value of their vehicles, according to “good” market value, plus 10%. Modification costs are excluded unless verification is provided to show the modification was part of the original purchase.
Beginning Oct. 1, 2015, customers may contact dealers to arrange for vehicle inspections. Dealers will then call a third-party administrator to complete the inspection and present a final offer to customers, who then have three options:
- Opt for the recall repair and receive a $100 Visa Prepaid Card for unrestricted use
- Accept the repurchase offer
- Opt for the trade-in incentive, which is available through Jan. 4, 2016
For more details and information about a vehicle’s eligibility enter its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into the search engines at any of the following sites: