As the commercial says, size DOES matter. I am a fan of big SUVs, and the Infiniti QX80 is one of the largest out there. It is not just length, but width and height are factors too.
Although large, it is one of the nicest SUVs you can buy. The interior is outstanding with leather and Burl wood, and touches of aluminum. You notice the plushness the minute you open the door.
Performance-wise, the QX80 has a 5.6-liter mammoth V8 which is putting out 400-horses and is hooked to a 7-speed automatic. In spite of its size and weight, this engine does a great job of moving all this metal.
The QX80 comes standard with just about everything you could wish for, most notable heated seats, power moon roof, navigation system, remote start, Bose stereo, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and a 60/40 fold flat power third row seat.
My tester has several packages, including Driver’s Assistance for $2100 and gives you blind spot monitoring, rear parking assistance, and forward emergency braking system. The Theater package adds $2400 and you get two 7” screens in the front headrest for DVDs and games, heated second row captain chairs, and power flip forward second row seats for easy access to the 3rd row seat.
Finally, the Deluxe Technology Package is $5500. For that you get the hydraulic body motion control system, the Burl wood inside the vehicle, and lane departure warning. The body motion system makes the ride and handling much improved over previous editions of the QX80, and especially going back to the QX56.
There is plenty of room for every passenger, although people in the third row seat will be in a different zip code. There is even surprising room behind the third row seat for cargo.
Don’t get me wrong, this is a really nice SUV, the $2450 22” 14-spoke wheels are exceptional, and it is super quiet inside. For a vehicle in the large, luxury segment, it is priced quite well. In fact, if you look around, it is priced in the neighborhood of GMC Yukon, although it is not quite as nimble.
- What I liked most: The interior and price.
- What I would change: It would be great if you could shrink it just a little.
- MSRP: Base price $63,250. As equipped $77,165.
- Fuel Economy: 14 City/20 highway/16 combined.
- Odometer reading when tested: 3570 miles.
- Weight: 8500 Pounds.
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 26 gallons.
- Towing Capacity: 8,500 Pounds
- 2015 QX80 in a few words: A very nice, very large, luxury SUV.
- Warranty: 4-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty with roadside assistance, and 7-year/70,000 mile powertrain coverage.
- Car Pro Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
- Manufacturer’s website: Infiniti