It’s a big day in the automotive world. Without further ado, here are the nominees for the 2016 North American Car and Truck/Utility of the Year awards. We’ll find out who the winners are on Monday, January 11th at the Detroit Auto Show.
Car of the Year Finalists
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Chevrolet is just now launching the 2016 Malibu and it’s an important model. That’s because Chevy hopes to right all the wrongs that came with the 8th generation model. It didn’t fare so well. One reason is that it was so small. Chevy’s lengthened the new model and it’s also about 300 pounds lighter, too.
- Honda Civic
- Honda completely redesigned the 10th generation Civic. It’s sportier and Honda hopes it gets people excited about the Civic again. So far, it seems to be working.
- Mazda MX-5 Miata
- The 4th generation lighter, tighter Miata may not be fast, but it’s fun. It has a shorter wheelbase and drops its ride height by almost an inch compared to its predecessor.
[image_slider] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2016-Chevrolet-Malibu-005-e1434566727830.jpg”]2016 North American Car Of The Year Finalist[/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/16_Civic_Sedan_001-e1442459603395.jpg”]2016 North American Car Of The Year Finalist[/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2016-MX-5_Front3qtr_White_JP-e1449604765728.jpg “]2016 North American Car Of The Year Finalist[/image_items] [/image_slider]
Truck/Utility Of The Year Finalists
- Honda Pilot – The new 2016 Honda Pilot was all the buzz at the Chicago Auto Show earlier this year. Honda finally did something with it in the styling department and, as Jerry the Car Pro says in his review, it’s finally a Pilot we can love.
- Nissan Titan XD – The Nissan Titan XD is crashing Detroit’s heavy-duty pickup party. The XD is Nissan’s first new truck in a decade. It has a towing capacity of more than six tons. The Mississippi-built truck arrives in dealerships this month.
- Volvo XC90 – Volvo did everything right with this all-new much-talked about flagship SUV, also recently reviewed by the Car Pro. One of its new safety features is technology that can detect large animals in the road.
[image_slider] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Honda-Pilot-2016-e1446572514651.jpg”]2016 North American Truck/Utility Of The Year Finalist [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2016_nissan_TITAN_xd_02-e1449604285927.jpg”]2016 North American Truck/Utility Of The Year Finalist [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/167947_Volvo_XC90_R_Design_model_year_2016-e1448927141591.jpg”]2016 North American Truck/Utility Of The Year Finalist[/image_items] [/image_slider]
The finalists are judged by 53 independent automotive journalists. They judge vehicles in a number of categories including value for the dollar, innovation, handling, performance, safety and driver satisfaction.
Last year’s winners were the Volkswagen Golf and the Ford F-150.