This week we bring to you the redesigned 2019 Audi A6, a mid-sized luxury car that competes with the BMW 5- Series and the Mercedes E-Class. My Glacier White review vehicle is the Premium Plus package, which is the middle trim level of the lineup.
One thing I love about Audis is the very distinctive large grill that lets you know immediately what it is. This one has beautiful 20-inch 5-spoke wheels, a built-in rear spoiler, a bit of a swooping roofline, and dual exhaust.
Under the hood you’ll find a 3-liter turbo V6, the only engine offered in the A6. You also get a 7-speed automatic that you can shift from steering wheel paddles. This 3-liter has a very mild hybrid system that picks up about 2-miles per gallon. It is a Quattro, which means it’s all-wheel drive.
Driving dynamics are excellent, with confident handling, and strong acceleration.
I used to own an Audi A8L and, to this day, it was one of my favorite all-time cars I have owned, primarily due to the amazing luxury interior and whisper-quiet cabin like this one.
Sitting behind the multi-function steering wheel you’ll see a very vivid virtual cockpit that you can configure and is full of information, including speed limit sign recognition.
The center console is well laid out with a stubby gear shifter and a couple of cup holders. New for 2019 is a vertically stacked dual screen setup that is very colorful and easy to see. The top screen runs your sound system, Bluetooth, navigation, and all your settings.
The bottom screen operates the climate system, the heated and air conditioned seats, and other functions including disabling the start/stop system, setting your garage door openers, and operating the power rear shade.
The interior is rich with a lot of stitching and just the right amount of dark walnut wood that flows into glossy black in the center of the dash.
Just under the lower screen are the drive mode buttons to choose from comfort, to auto, to dynamic, and you can set the individual setting to your liking. The different modes change the driving feel of the A6 dramatically.
The rear seat is roomy, the occupants get a center console, USB ports, power supply, and they can control the rear temperature. There are manual shades for the rear side windows. Trunk room is extremely good.
Standard Equipment and Options
This car comes well equipped with notable features like a power moon roof, power tilt wheel, keyless entry, LED headlights, parking sensors, and a lot more.
My tester has $10,600 in options including the Plus package, which is a Bang & Olufsen sound system, overhead view camera, a wireless phone charger, and high beam assist with headlight washers. It has the Driver Assist package, which is adaptive cruise control that adjusts to the cars ahead of you, as well as current road conditions.
It also has front and rear automatic emergency braking system, a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, and the 20” S-Line wheels.
Fuel economy is 22 in town and a very good 29 on the road. Total MSRP as equipped is $70,490, right in line with the competition.
Overall, the Audi A6 is incredibly enjoyable to drive, it looks great, and it has a spectacular interior.
2019 Audi A6
- What I liked most: The interior, the fuel economy, and handling.
- What I would change: Would like to see exterior updated.
- MSRP: Base price $58,900, total with options: $70,490.
- Fuel Economy: 22 city/29 highway/25 combined and doing better.
- Official Color: Glacier White Metallic exterior, Okapi Brown interior.
- Odometer reading when tested: 3100 miles.
- Weight: 4266 pounds.
- Spare Tire: Compact temporary.
- Length-Width-Height: 194.4” long/83.1” wide/57.4” high.
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 19.3 gallons with the filler on the passenger side.
- Towing Capacity: N/A.
- 2019 Audi A6 in a few words: A super-enjoyable sedan that gets great fuel economy and performs very well.
- Warranty: 4-year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty with roadside assistance, and 1-year or 10,000 miles of free maintenance.
- Final Assembly Location: Neckarsulm, Germany.
- Manufacturer’s website: https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a6
- Up Next: 2019 Chevy Blazer