The Toyota Corolla is the best-selling car ever. Over 43 million Corollas have been sold since 1966 and the 2019 version will push those numbers higher. It’s a fuel efficient car that is affordable and reliable thanks to Toyota’s reputation for quality.
Not much has changed in this year’s version as Toyota preps for a redesign in 2020.
There are 6 configurations – from the base model L starting at $18,700 all the way up to the SE topping out at $22,800. That price right there is actually $800 less than last year’s XSE model so there is actually a change from last year’s model.
I focus a lot on tech and the 2019 Corolla has a lot of it. Toyota Safety Sense P is standard which includes a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane departure alert with steering assist, automatic high beams and dynamic radar cruise control.
All trim levels come with backup cameras with projected path guidelines, vehicle stability control, traction control, ABS, and electronic tire pressure monitoring.
Bottom line – there is a ton of great features in here that utilize some of the best technologies in the auto industry.
While I’m not the biggest fan of Toyota’s infotainment system, the Corolla does feature the Entune Audio Plus system. It features a 7” touchscreen, AM/FM CD player, 6 speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB port, voice recognition system and Bluetooth.
There is another change Toyota is touting in this 2019 Corolla. Apple’s CarPlay and Amazon Alexa have been added to the car. Nice touches indeed but I am still waiting for Toyota to hop on the Android bandwagon.
It is easy to slide into the driver’s seat and the leg room in the back is ample.
Trunk volume is a pretty standard 13 cubic feet and the fuel economy is listed at 31 mpg combined.
All versions of the 2019 package have a 1.8L 4-cylinder engine with around 132 hp. That is sufficient power for normal driving but who really buys a Corolla for top speed or acceleration?
The Corolla continues to be a class value leader and one of the top-selling vehicles in the U.S. If you’re looking for a compact car focus on the higher trim models of the 2019 Corolla as I do like the sportier look.
- What I liked most: The sporty look and the addition of Apple CarPlay.
- What I would change: Android Auto (please!).
- MSRP: Base price $21,620 as equipped $22,214.
- Fuel Economy: 28 city/35 highway/31 combined.
- Official Color: Blue Crush Metallic.
- Odometer reading when tested: 9 miles.
- Weight: 2860 pounds.
- Spare Tire: Temporary.
- Length-Width-Height: 183 long/69.9 wide/57.3 high.
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 13.2 gallons.
- 2019 Camry in a few words: Almost identical to the 2018 model as they await a new version in 2020.
- Warranty: 3-years/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, 5-year/60,000 mile power train warranty.
- Final Assembly Location: Blue Springs, Mississippi.
- Manufacturers website: www.toyota.com