Click It Or Ticket Campaign Urges People to Buckle Up

May means the return of “Click It Or Ticket”, an annual safety campaign get people to buckle up. The effort kicked off the week of May 21 just in time for Memorial Day Weekend. Law enforcement agencies around the country will ramp up enforcement efforts through June 3, 2018.

Nationwide Seat Belt Statistics

Nearly 27.5 people still don’t wear their seat belt, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Using one can increase your chances of surviving a crash by 45 percent in a passenger vehicle and up to 60 percent in a pickup truck.

Other government stats include:

  • In 2016, 48 percent of the people killed in motor vehicle crashes were not wearing seat belts.
  • Almost 60 percent of young adults (18 to 34) killed in crashes were completely unrestrained, and 61 percent of pickup truck occupants who were killed were not buckled up.
  • Seat belts saved 15,000 lives in 2016.

Texas Click It or Ticket

This year marks the 16th anniversary of “Click It Or Ticket” in the Lone Star State.

When it launched back in 2002, only 76 percent of Texans used their seat belts. Today nearly 92 percent buckle up – that leaves 8 percent who still don’t.

Over the years, the NHTSA estimates the Texas “Click It or Ticket” campaign has saved 5,473 lives, prevented more than 95,500 serious injuries and saved Texas more than $20.7 billion in related economic costs. Deaths among people not wearing seat belts are down 8 percent from 2016 to 2017.

One big issue is seat belt usage at nights.

The Texas Department of Transportation says last year the number of drivers and front seat passengers not wearing seat belts increased by almost 50 percent from day to night. Fifty-seven percent of the 929 unbelted crash deaths occurred at night.

Special Report: The Death of Kailee Mills

We recently told you the tragic story of 16-year old Kailee Mills, who died in a car accident when she took her seat belt off for a few seconds. If you missed it, click below:

Special Report: The Untimely Death of Kailee Mills

Texas Seat Belt Laws

In Texas, the law requires everyone in a vehicle to buckle up or face fines and court costs up to $200. Children younger than 8 years must be in a child safety seat or booster seat unless they’re taller than 4 feet 9 inches. If they aren’t properly restrained, the driver faces fines up to $250 plus court costs.

Photo Credit: TxDOT
There haven't been any comments left on this blog yet. Be the first to add one!.