January 2019 National Auto Sales Results


January sales are all said and done, and when all the sales were tallied, except General Motors that doesn’t report monthly, the industry was down 1%. I really thought it would be worse than that due to the cold weather that gripped the country right at the end of the month when sales surge.

Ford had said it would only report sales quarterly beginning this year, however, it appears the numbers got out somehow. We’ll see what happens at the end of February.

In total, 1,147,000 new vehicles were sold in America this January versus 1,159,000 in January 2018.

A few notes of interest:


  • Trucks and SUVs accounted for 69.6% of sales in January, leaving just 30.4% for cars.
  • The average transaction price for all vehicles sold in January was almost $34,300, almost 2% higher than January 2018.
  • The average loan rated this January for new vehicles was 6.19% due to the lack of 0% loans being offered. The average rate in January 2018 was under 5%.
  • Daimler spent the most on incentives this January at $5,987 per Mercedes sold, followed by BMW at $5,297, and GM at $5,056. Subaru spent the least at just $1,072 per vehicle. The industry average was $3,642 according to ALG.

Here are your sales numbers by brand for January 2019, excluding General Motors:


  1. Ford: 171,763
  2. Toyota: 138,601
  3. Honda, 96,375
  4. Nissan: 90,439
  5. Jeep: 58,401
  6. Subaru: 46,072
  7. Hyundai: 40,796
  8. Ram: 39,649
  9. Kia: 37,376
  10. Dodge: 27,077
  11. Mercedes-Benz: 23,721
  12. Volkswagen: 23,074
  13. Mazda: 20.045
  14. BMW: 18,102
  15. Lexus: 17.420
  16. Audi: 14,253
  17. Infiniti: 10,302
  18. Acura: 9,764
  19. Chrysler: 9,054
  20. Mitsubishi: 8,711
  21. Lincoln: 7,715
  22. Land Rover: 7,385
  23. Volvo: 5,854
  24. Porsche: 5,419
  25. Jaguar: 3,078
  26. Mini: 2,457
  27. Genesis: 1,224
  28. Alfa Romeo: 1,150
  29. Fiat: 751
  30. Smart: 83
There haven't been any comments left on this blog yet. Be the first to add one!.