The wait is finally over for the first-ever mid-engine Corvette
. The 2020 Stingray made its debut last week with much fanfare in California and for good reason. Itís a Corvette the likes weíve never seen, in more ways than one. The iconic American sports car is moving into the future with markedly more European looks, while still keeping its classic roots in mind. Chevrolet says the redesigned 2020 Stingray will deliver new levels of performance, technology, craftsmanship and luxury.
ďCorvette has always represented the pinnacle of innovation and boundary-pushing at GM. The traditional front-engine vehicle reached its limits of performance, necessitating the new layout,Ē said GM President Mark Reuss. ďIn terms of comfort and fun, it still looks and feels like a Corvette, but drives better than any vehicle in Corvette history. Customers are going to be thrilled with our focus on details and performance across the board.Ē
You can watch the world premiere here:
FYI, the same guy who drove the 2020 Corvette onto stage was also the same guy who wrecked this Corvette
Chevrolet made a big deal of announcing the entry-level C8 will go on sale starting from less than $60,000. But keep in mind that price will rise fast and even double for a loaded model. Pre-orders are being taken on a special website
. A 3D Visualizer
is also available. The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray will go into production at GMís Bowling Green Assembly in late 2019. Look for more pricing and packaging information closer to launch.
2020 CORVETTE STINGRAY FAST FACTS
- Engine: 6.2L Small Block V-8 LT2
- Transmission: Chevyís First-Ever 8-Speed Dual-Clutch transmission
- Horsepower: 490, or 495 with performance exhaust.
- Torque: 465 lb-ft., or 470 with performance exhaust; rear-wheel drive
- 0-to-60 time: under three seconds when equipped with Z51 Performance Package
- Cabin Design: Inspired by jet fighters, driverís seat sits 16.5-inches further forward.
- Top: It has a removable Targa Roof.
- Price: Starting from less than $60,000, though expect to double that price for a loaded model.
- Availability: Goes into production in late 2019.
- Pre-Orders: After building their personal Stingray on Chevrolet.com, customers can pre-order their vehicle through a certified dealership.
- Assembly: GM Bowling Green Assembly
- Corvette Reveal Website: Chevrolet
Click on the links below for everything else you want to know about the first-ever mid-engine Corvette: