2022 is shaping up to be quite a year for new models to live up to if 2021 was any indication. Case in point, we're sharing a look at the winners of the 2021 CarBuzz Awards. It's quite an impressive list of vehicles and includes two new categories.
"2021 was a huge year for new car reveals, with outstanding products at both ends of the buying spectrum," says Jared Rosenholtz, CarBuzz Editor at Large.
2021 CarBuzz Award Winners
CarBuzz says it added Electrified Luxury and Affordable Fun categories this year to better reflect what's happening in the car industry. The winners of the 2021 CarBuzz Awards as listed in a press release (with a category definition) are as follows:
- People's Car: 2022 Ford Maverick - The car that provides buyers with the most value for money; the winner is the best all-round vehicle priced less than 2021's average new car price of $45,000.
- Family Fun: 2022 Kia Carnival - With a price cap of $40,000, the winner has to provide a balance between a spacious interior that can seat at least four, and the ability to provide a fun drive.
- Save The Planet Car: 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 - The winner must be an eco-friendly vehicle that provides quality, enjoyment, and desirability, while still being fuel-efficient.
- Off-Road Warrior: 2021 Ford Bronco - The best off-roading truck or SUV that offers unrivaled enjoyment on unpaved roads. Various forms of off-roading are taken into account.
- Tech Lover's Dream: 2022 BMW iX - The car with the best safety, comfort, convenience, and technological features. This category represents innovation in the automotive sphere.
- Electrified Luxury: 2022 Audi RS e-tron GT - A new category highlighting the hybrid or electric car that boasts the best balance of luxury, comfort, performance, and convenience, at any price.
- Best Interior: 2021 Genesis G80 - Rewarding innovation in interior design and quality relevant to price, with a focus on luxury, technology, and ergonomics.
- Track Weapon: 2021 Lamborghini Huracan STO - The car that would be most thrilling in a track environment based on power, handling dynamics, focus, and theater.
- Affordable Fun: 2022 Subaru BRZ / 2022 Toyota GR86 - A category created to celebrate accessible driver enjoyment. The winner must be fun to drive to work and on track, without breaking the bank.
- Family Luxury: 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Rewarding comfort, space, a plush interior, and a spread of safety and convenience features, with no price cap.
To be eligible, vehicles had to be available for a press drive or first drive event during 2021. CarBuzz says its road car testers have no affiliation to any carmaker and that finalists and winners are selected on merit alone.