Looking for a new family vehicle? Car Pro Show host Jerry Reynolds is a fan of U.S. News and World Report's annual Best Cars for Families list. This year Honda receives the most wins followed by Toyota. For 2022, the publication evaluated 96 vehicles and named winners across nine categories including Best Minivan, Best 2-row and 3-row SUV as well as Best Midsize Sedan, Large Car and Hybrid Car.
2022 Best Cars for Families
There are many consecutive, tried-and-true, award winners on the list. Honda receives four followed by Toyota with two.
Honda held onto its place as Best Minivan for Families for the 12th consecutive year, which is the longest streak in the history of the awards. The Honda Passport won Best 2-Row SUV for Families for the third time in a row, and the Honda Accord had its third win as the Best Midsize Sedan for Families. The Best Hybrid Car for Families award went to the Honda Accord Hybrid, which brings home its first win.
The Toyota Highlander Hybrid won Best Hybrid SUV for Families for the ninth time and the Toyota Avalon won Best Large Car for Families for the fourth year in a row.
Chevrolet, Hyundai and Kia each earned one award.
- The Chevrolet Suburban, redesigned for 2021, won Best Large SUV for Families for the fourth time overall and the second year in a row.
- The Hyundai Tucson, all-new for 2022, brought home its first Best Compact SUV for Families award.
- The popular Kia Telluride received the Best 3-Row SUV for Families for the third consecutive year.
U.S. News says its 2022 Best Cars for Families winners offer the best combination of safety and reliability ratings, excellent reviews from the automotive press, passenger and cargo space and features that keep the entire family safe, connected and entertained. Its researchers evaluated a number of criteria including tech features, such as in-car wireless internet, teen driver controls, automatic braking, surround-view parking camera systems and hands-free cargo doors, along with traditional criteria such as passenger and cargo space.
“With winners from nine different vehicle classes, the Best Cars for Families awards offer choices that will work for every family,” said Jim Sharifi, managing editor of U.S. News Best Cars. "The 2022 award winners offer the features, safety and space that will appeal to new parents, as well as parents with teen drivers or households that include grandparents.”
THE 2022 BEST CARS FOR FAMILIES
2022 Best Cars for Families
- Honda Accord: Best Midsize Car for Families
- Toyota Avalon: Best Large Car for Families
- Honda Accord Hybrid: Best Hybrid or Electric Car for Families
2022 Best SUVs for Families
- Hyundai Tucson: Best Compact SUV for Families
- Chevrolet Suburban: Best Large SUV for Families
- Honda Passport: Best 2-Row SUV for Families
- Kia Telluride: Best 3-Row SUV for Families
- Toyota Highlander Hybrid: Best Hybrid or Electric SUV for Families
2022 Best Minivan for Families
- Honda Odyssey: Best Minivan for Families
About the Awards
The award methodology combines professional automotive reviews, safety and reliability ratings, seating and cargo volume and the availability of family-friendly features. Within each of the nine automotive categories, the vehicle with the highest composite score is named the Best Car for Families in that category.
Photo Credit: Honda.