Two major airbag recalls to pass along from Fiat Chrysler and General Motors. Neither of which are related to the ongoing Takata recalls involving exploding inflators.
Fiat Chrysler Airbag Recall
Fiat Chrysler announced Thursday it is recalling 1.9 million airbags worldwide for an airbag defect linked to three deaths and five injuries.
The problem is the airbags in question may not deploy. The recall includes models sold between 2010 and 2014:
- 2010 Chrysler Sebring midsize car
- 2011-2014 Chrysler 200 midsize cars
- 2010-2012 Dodge Caliber compact car
- 2010-2014 Dodge Avenger midsize cars
- 2010-2014 Jeep® Patriot and Compass SUVs
About 1.4 million of the vehicles covered by the recall are in the U.S. Another 142,959 are in Canada. The recall also includes the 2012-2013 midsize Lancia Flavia outside of America.
Fiat Chrysler says the airbags may fail if a particular occupant restraint control module and front impact sensor wiring of a specific design are involved in certain collisions. FCA says it no longer uses those occupant restraint controllers or wire routing design. Recall details are being finalized.
GM Airbag Recall
This recall is on the heels of another non-Takata airbag recall from General Motors. It recalled 4.3 million vehicles last week over a software defect that prevents the bags from deploying. The problem is linked to one death and three injuries.
GM says its issue stems from a software defect in the sensing and diagnostic module that controls airbag deployment. The automaker discovered the issue in May, when the driver’s side airbag and seatbelt safety functions on a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado failed to activate after an accident.
Here are the models affected in the recall:
- Chevrolet Tahoe — 2015-2017
- Chevrolet Suburban — 2015-2017
- Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD and 3500 HD — 2015-2017
- GMC Sierra 2500 HD and 3500 HD — 2015-2017
- GMC Yukon, Yukon XL — 2015-2017
- Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV — 2015-2017
- Chevrolet Corvette — 2014-2017
- Chevrolet Silverado 1500 — 2014-2017
- Chevrolet Trax — 2014-2017
- Chevrolet Caprice Police Pursuit — 2014-2017
- GMC Sierra 1500 — 2014-2017
- Buick Encore — 2014-2017
- Buick Lacrosse — 2014-2016
- Chevrolet Spark EV — 2014-2016
- Chevrolet SS — 2014-2016
GM will notify owners and dealers will update the vehicle’s software or replace module for free.
Check the NHTSA website for more details.