Search
Sunday 20 August 2017
  • :
  • :

Ford Adds to Recall of 2013 Escapes – Car Pro News

Ford LogoFord Motor Co. said it is issuing two additional recalls of its 2013 Escape crossover after receiving reports of fires in 13 more vehicles.
They bring the total number of recalls of the 2013 Escape to seven, five of which involve fire risks on models equipped with a 1.6-liter engine. One of the new recalls is to inspect repairs done to 11,821 vehicles as part of a previous campaign, after Ford discovered that service technicians installed some fuel lines incorrectly.
The larger of the recalls cover 161,334 vehicles globally, including 139,917 in the United States. Ford said the engine cylinder head in those vehicles could overheat, causing cracking and oil leaks that could result in a fire under the hood. The company said no one was injured in the reported fires.
All of the vehicles involved in the smaller recall, 9,469 of which are in the United States, also are covered by the larger one.
Felker said Ford does not know how many of the vehicles being recalled to reinspect fuel-line installations need repairs. If the lines were improperly installed, they could chafe over time and leak fuel. Ford has received reports of gasoline odors and leaks but no fires or injuries.
“We found that some of the vehicles had been incorrectly serviced,” Felker said. “Out of an abundance of caution, we’re going to bring them back and make sure.”
Ford said it would begin making repairs Jan. 23. To address the overheating issue, it plans to modify the engine shielding, cooling and control systems. Vehicles subject to both of the new recalls also would have their fuel lines inspected and repaired, if necessary, at the same time.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *