2012-2016 Ford Focus and 2011-2016 Ford Fiesta vehicles equipped with DPS6 PowerShift Transmissions.
That the PowerShift transmission slips, bucks, kicks, and jerks, resulting in sudden or delayed acceleration of the vehicle. Ford has denied all allegations in the lawsuit, but has decided to settle the case and to provide benefits to members of the settlement class.
Current and former owners of the affected vehicles listed above will be contacted via mail in July providing an overview of the preliminary agreement. Customers will need to prove ownership of the vehicle and also show proof of eligible transmission repairs in order to request settlement benefits. Ford dealers will be helping class members obtain copies of their service records when necessary to substantiate any claims under the settlement.
If the Court approves the settlement, the benefits the customer may receive – dependent on their transmission repair history – include:
- Repurchase of your vehicle through an arbitration procedure.
- Cash Payments totaling up to $2,325.
- Discount Certificates of up to $4,650 toward a new car purchase.
Additionally, the settlement provides class members with an opportunity to arbitrate vehicle buyback and breach of warranty claims related to the PowerShift Transmission.
- July 2017: Customers begin receiving notification letters advising them of settlement.
- October 2017: If the court approves the settlement terms, eligible Focus and Fiesta owners can begin submitting claims via the www.fordtransmissionsettlement.com website / 1-844-540-6011.
- Late 2017: Assuming there are no appeals or other court delays, claims begin to process and customers are notified of the actions taken on claims.
Updates on the process and timing will be available at the www.FordTransmissionSettlement.com website and there is a FAQ page at that website.
- Opt-Out Deadline: September 5, 2017
- Opt-In Deadline for people with pending lawsuits pertaining to the PowerShift Transmission: Copies of the opt-in form are available under the “Case Documents” Tab at www.FordTransmissionSettlement.com. Deadline September 5, 2017
- Objection Deadline: September 5, 2017
- Fairness Hearing October 2, 2017
CLASS MEMBERS CANNOT YET FILE CLAIMS
Claims will be accepted after the Court grants Final Approval of the Settlement.
Current status of this matter:
The parties in Vargas v. Ford Motor Company, C.D. Cal. Case No. 2:12-cv-08388-AB-FFM, have reached a nationwide settlement which was granted preliminary approval by the Court on April 25, 2017.