An electrical fire is to blame for a fire at Ford Motor Company’s world headquarters in Dearborn Monday morning. It forced the evacuation of the 12-story building when employees started smelling smoke.
Back in my days as the Ford National Dealer Council Chairman, I spent a substantial amount of time in this building.
Here’s what Ford said in a statement posted on its website:
The fire at an electrical substation interrupted power to Ford World Headquarters and the adjacent Ford Credit office buildings, as well as to one of the company’s main data centers that the company and its dealers use to report and track sales. While battery backups worked as intended to protect data saved in the system, the lack of full power resulted in the data center being shut down for most of Monday’s business day, and dealers were unable to report final-day sales.
Ford’s world headquarters is also known as the Glass House and it was built in the 1950s. Plans for a 10-year renovation project which will get underway in 2021.
Renovations include updating technology, creating a design center with studios and adding energy-saving features like geothermal heating and cooling. Ford also plans to expand its campus which will double the number of employees working there from 12,000 to 24,000. All but the 14,000 square-foot design showroom there now will be demolished.
The fire delayed Ford’s October sales reporting to November 2nd, 2016.