An Iowa mom is warning other parents about the dangers of kids in hot cars, after a close call involving her 3-year-old son.
Amy Carey recently shared her story on Facebook. The mom to four boys, between the ages of three and ten, found 3-year-old Cason outside in the family van recently, in sweltering heat. The van had been left unlocked and he managed to get inside, but couldn’t get out.
Yesterday my sweet Cason almost became 1 of the 40 kids that will die this year from being in a hot car. This is hard for me to write because I feel guilty but I know many people leave their vehicles unlocked and now I know you shouldn’t.
She says Cason had been playing with his siblings while she was cleaning house. When she went to check on him, he wasn’t anywhere to be found.
After about 20-30 minutes of cleaning I went to peak at Cason to be sure he was still doing okay, but he wasn’t there. I ran through the house yelling for him but he didn’t answer. I ran outside and there he was, in the van jumping up and down, crying with sweat pouring off of him.
Luckily, she found him in time. Doctors estimate Cason was in the locked van for 20 to 30 minutes. He suffered from heat exhaustion. The temp was in the mid-90s outside in central Iowa at the time.
We got so lucky, I am thankful I decided to check on him, who knows how long he was in there or how much longer he would have been able to handle the heat.
Carey shared her message in hopes of raising awareness on the importance of child safety during summer months.
The reason I tell this is so all parents keep their vehicles locked. What we know now is that Cason and Jake went outside … Cason got shut in (the van) and he wasn’t strong enough to get the doors back open. I would have never thought they would go out there and get in the hot van but they did. It happened to me it could happen to you.
The dangers of leaving kids and pets in hot cars is a topic that’s long been a passion of the Car Pro Show.
It’s been a deadly year already on that front. Child deaths in hot cars have nearly tripled this year, according to the National Safety Council. And we’re not even to July yet. The deaths of twin toddlers is currently under investigation in Louisiana, after they were found unresponsive in their family pickup on June 18th. Investigators believe their deaths were heat-related, according to The Shreveport Times.
Carey hopes sharing her story will help make other parents more aware of the dangers, especially of keeping cars locked.
Please share to spread awareness of keeping vehicles locked so children don’t have access to them.
We couldn’t reiterate that more.