The waiting is over for muscle car fans. Chevy unveiled the 2016 Chevy Camaro Saturday at an all-day event packed with fans in Detroit. It’s lighter, faster and leaner than the outgoing model yet just as powerful, and even more so in the case of the SS. Both the SS and LT variations will go head to head with the Ford Mustang when they arrive this Fall.
Under the skin, the Camaro starts fresh with GM’s new rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform that underpins the Cadillac ATS. It loses over 200 pounds yet provides a 28 percent stiffer structure. The updated structure results in much-improved ride and handling characteristics. It’s also slightly smaller than the outgoing model, with a 1.6 inch drop in wheelbase and 2.3 inch reduction in overall vehicle length.
Under the hood, there are no lack of powertrains to choose from. There are six different combinations, each designed to deliver improved performance and efficiency. The standard engine is a 2.0L Turbo. Then there is an all-new 3.6L V-6 and the LT1 6.2L V-8, which is SAE-certified at 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 455 lb-ft of torque (617 Nm), for the most powerful Camaro SS ever. Each engine is available with a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission.
Approximately 70 percent of the architectural components are unique to the new Camaro. The Camaro’s leaner, stiffer platform and slightly smaller dimensions are accentuated by a dramatic, sculpted exterior. Meticulously tuned in the wind tunnel, the exterior contributes to performance through reduced aerodynamic lift for better handling, while enhancing efficiency.
The new Camaro also gets some needed improvements and upgrades in the interior with an all-new cabin featuring higher quality materials, a more effective gauge cluster and innovative controls for the ventilation system. There is even a customizable ambient lighting feature.
“We have had the incredible opportunity to meet literally thousands of Gen 5 Camaro owners who provided direct feedback on what they loved about their car and what they wanted for the next-gen Camaro,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “As a result, the 2016 Camaro builds on what made the current Camaro such a success with more power, more agile handling and more technology.[image_slider] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ChevyCamaroReveal07-e1431928815579.jpg”] 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ChevyCamaroReveal03-e1431928779561.jpg”] 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-RS-007-e1431926623405.jpg”] 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-019-e1431926822496.jpg”] 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-013-e1431926896383.jpg”] 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-020-e1431927120512.jpg”] 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-002-1-e1431926584914.jpg”] 2016 Chevrolet Camaro [/image_items] [image_items source=”https://www.carprousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/CamaroSix21-e1431928868779.jpg”] 2016 Chevrolet Camaro Celebration [/image_items] [/image_slider]
- It weighs 200 pounds less, depending on the model
- Most efficient Camaro ever, with a new 2.0L turbo SAE-certified at 275 hp (205 kW) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm). GM-estimates it delivers more than 30 mpg on the highway and 0-60 mph acceleration well under 6 seconds
- Efficient performance in a new 3.6L V-6 featuring direct injection, continuously variable valve timing and – for the first time – Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation), offering an SAE-certified 335 hp (250 kW) and 284 pound-feet of torque (385 Nm), for the highest specific output of any naturally aspirated V-6 in the segment
- The most powerful Camaro SS ever, with a new 6.2L LT1 direct-injected Small Block V-8 rated at 455 hp (339 kW) and 455 lb-ft of torque (617 Nm)
- Magnetic Ride Control active suspension available on Camaro SS for the first time
- The Camaro SS delivers better lap times than the fifth-generation’s track-focused Camaro 1LE package.
For more information check out Chevy’s press release.