Back from the days when Kevin had a Monday through Friday show, he had three recipes he gave out every holiday season and still to this day gets many requests for them.
There are the famous Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes, David Wade’s “turkey in a bag” and last, but not least, David Wade’s Rock Salt Prime Rib! Bon appétit!
Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes (Serves 10-12)
8 large potatoes
8 0z cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream
- Boil and mash potatoes
- Mix in cream cheese, butter, sour cream and salt and pepper
- Put into 2-3 quart greased serving dish
- Top with some butter pats
- Cover and store in fridge for up to 3 days
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake uncovered at 350 for about 40 minutes.
The Late, Great David Wade’s Turkey in a Bag
1 16-20 lb. turkey thoroughly thawed
1 large paper grocery bag
1 cup peanut oil (only)
- Sprinkle the powder on the turkey and then rub it in with a little
- Fully coat the inside of the bag with the rest of the peanut oil.
- Put the bird in the bag breast side up and tie the open end closed with
- Put in lower section of a roaster with no lid and place in oven
pre-heated to 325 degrees.
- Cook for about 10-12 minutes per pound.
- When done, take it out and poke a hole in the bag away from you to let
out the steam and then as David would say, voila! (do NOT cook dressing
in the bird)
David’s Rock-Salt Prime Rib
- Cover the bottom of a roaster with about 1/2 inch of rock salt and
lightly dampen it.
- Sprinkle the prime rib with Worcestershire powder and then place it in
- Pour rock salt over it until the sides and top are covered and then
lightly sprinkle it with water.
- Put it in the oven uncovered pre-heated to 500 degrees for about
18-20 minutes per pound for medium. (people’s preference on how long to
cook and how well done is best seem to vary widely so use your own
- When you’re finished cooking, take the rib out and crack open the rock
salt casing. Brush away any salt particles and there you have it.
Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season from Kevin and the entire Car Pro gang!
Photo copyright: Subbotina Anna/Shutterstock