This could be a good summer to buy a late-model used car.
Thousands of vehicles are coming off lease, adding to an already substantial supply of used cars and trucks from three years of heavy sales. As a result, prices are falling. They’re also expected to continue to drop, according to Kelley Blue Book.
To help you decide which used cars to put on your short list, Kiplinger’s come out with its list of the best used cars out there right now. It considered vehicles between 2 and 4 years old that scored well for performance, value, safety, and reliability, in Kiplinger’s ranking when they were new — and have proven reliable since.
Here are a few of Kiplinger’s picks.
2013 Toyota Prius
- Price when new: $22,374
- Private-party price now: $12,916
- Fuel economy: 51 mpg city, 48 highway
- Price when new: $19,166
- Private-party price now: $14,837
- Fuel economy: 28 mpg city, 38 highway
2014 Audi Q5
- Price when new: $35,046
- Private-party price now: $26,970
- Fuel economy: 20 mpg city, 28 highway
2014 Chevrolet Tahoe
- Price when new: $41,204
- Private-party price now: $27,658
- Fuel economy: 15 mpg city, 21 highway
2014 Mustang GT convertible
- Price when new: $37,000
- Private-party price now: $22,563
- Fuel economy: 18 mpg city, 25 highway
To check out the entire list, visit www.kiplinger.com.
Photo Credit: Mazda