Mazda is recalling 2017 CX-5 SUVs equipped with a genuine Mazda accessory trailer hitch wiring harness.
- 1,076 2017 Mazda CX-5 SUVs
- The trailer hitch harness may be inappropriately routed. This means there may not be enough clearance between it and the exhaust muffler. If the wiring harness contacts the muffler while driving it could eventually result in a short circuit and then the trailer tail lights/turn signals will become inoperable.
- Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will reroute the trailer hitch harness away from the muffler. They’ll replace the harness if it is damaged.
- The recall is expected to begin January 20, 2018.
- Mazda first noted the issue in September of 2017.
- Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500. Mazda’s number for this recall is 1617K.
- Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- You can check out the NHTSA recall documents here.
Related Reading: 2017 Mazda CX-5 Review
Photo Credit: Mazda