25% of all pickup trucks sold in America are sold in Texas. So, it is no surprise that Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, and Nissan all have Texas Edition trucks. It all started back in 2002 when Dodge introduced the first Lone Star Ram 1500. Today, I bring you the 2017 version of the Ram 1500 Lone Star Silver Edition.
This truck is a Crew Cab 4x4, and under the hood, it has the tried and true 5.7 liter V8 Hemi, that is mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission that operates from a round knob on the dash, or something unusual, you can shift it from the steering wheel.
The Lone Star Silver Edition was introduced at the State Fair of Texas in the fall of 2016 and represents an amazing value.
For just $1600, you get: chrome bumpers, fog lights, front tow hooks, unique mesh grill, 20” chrome wheels, chrome mirrors, dual exhaust, running boards, rearview camera, power seat, and remote start.
Moving to the inside, this truck has premium cloth seats and the front seat is a bench with a massive pull down armrest that also has storage and three cup holders. The interior is very nice, but not overly fancy. One feature I really like is a pull out drawer that can be accessed by the driver or passenger.
In the center of the gauge cluster is a huge driver information center that is operated from the steering wheel controls. You can choose from vehicle info, fuel economy, trip data, audio information, settings, and a digital speedometer.
In the center of the dash is the terrific Uconnect system where you operate the sound system, navigation, Bluetooth, voice activation, and climate control. I always say that this system is the simplest to operate in the industry.
If you hit the apps button, you’ll see a lot of the vehicle’s controls, TravelLink for real-time information, and you can turn on the Wi-Fi hotspot. Front and rear seat headroom and legroom is massive.
This Lone Star Silver package is based on the SLT trim and it comes with a nice list of standard equipment like power windows and door locks, tilt wheel, cruise control, trailer towing package, keyless entry, and a locking tailgate that locks from the keyless remote.
My tester has a number of options that totals roughly $3500 and includes a tri-fold tonneau cover, spray-in bed liner, a 32-gallon gas tank, the navigation system, an Alpine stereo with 9 speakers, and a CD player, something that is getting harder and harder to find.
The Ram 1500 rides and drives very well, and it is quiet inside.
Acceleration from the Hemi is strong and steady. Fuel economy is rated at 15 in town and 21 on the highway. This truck has a 3.92 rear axle ratio, and it is rated to tow just over 10,000 pounds as equipped.
Total MSRP on this truck is $49,485 and that is an exceptional buy versus its competition, especially when you consider there are some serious rebates on these trucks.
As far back as I can remember, the Ram Lone Star packages have been great looking trucks on the outside, but not super loaded on the inside. The problem with this package and the pricing is you cannot get it outside of Texas. According to the window sticker, there is $5500 in package savings with the Lone Star Silver package.
If you are looking for a full-sized Crew Cab 4x4, give the Ram a look, it’s a great truck!
2017 Ram 1500 Lone Star Silver
- What I liked most: The value proposition, and the Hemi.
- What I would change: Still don’t love the round gear shift knob.
- MSRP: Base price $43,095. As equipped $49,485.
- Fuel Economy: 15 City/21highway/17 combined.
- Odometer reading when tested: 4800 miles.
- Official Color: Maximum Steel Metallic Clear Coat.
- Other Available Colors: Silver, White, Black Pearl, Delmonico Red, Flame Red, Granite. For an additional $450, you can get Light Green, Midnight Blue Pearl, Safety Yellow, Omaha Orange, Power Tan, and Robin Egg Blue.
- Weight: 5554 Pounds.
- Length-Width-Height: 229” long/79.4” wide/77.5” High.
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 32 gallons (optional) with filler on the driver’s side.
- Towing Capacity: 10,333 Pounds.
- Final Assembly Point: Warren, Michigan.
- 2017 Ram 1500 in a few words: Great truck, outstanding value!
- Warranty: 3-year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain coverage with roadside assistance.
- Manufacturer’s website: Ram Trucks