This week we are taking a look at the beautiful 2022 M440i coupe, a longer, wider, and lower coupe than the popular 3-series.
I love the beautiful San Remo Green color, the beautiful 19” wheels with red calipers, front and rear diffusers, and rear quad exhaust. It has carbon fiber mirrors and spoiler.
Under the hood you’ll find a heavily-braced 3-liter twin turbo inline six cylinder putting out 382-horses and 364-pound feet of torque. It is hooked to an 8-speed automatic with paddle shifters. Zero-to-sixty time is 3.8 seconds, top speed is 157 miles per hour. My tester is rear-wheel drive, but the xDrive all-wheel drive system is available and would be preferred by me.
As with all BMWs, you get a luxury interior with bolstered leather seats that hold you nicely in place in those hard turns. A configurable 12.3-inch gauge cluster greets you as you push the start button and changes as you change the drive modes.
There is a large head-up display with traffic sign recognition that you see on the windshield, then high on the dash is an 8.8-inch i-Drive screen to operate the sound system, the navigation system, Bluetooth, car settings, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and a host of apps. You can use hand gesturing with the i-drive system.
The center console is loaded with controls including the knob to operate the i-Drive screen, Autohold, the drive modes to change the way the car performs, but of course, I keep it in Sport Plus, which also kills the auto start/stop system.. There is also a wireless charger, cupholders, and USB ports behind a sliding door. Everything is well laid out and easy to operate.
Access to the back seat is easy with a handle to electronically slide the front seat forward, just know the back seat is cramped and only useful for small children.
The M440i comes well equipped. This one has heated-but not cooled-front seats, a heated steering wheel, dual power seats, ambient lighting, a power moon roof, and keyless remote.
Safety features abound including a terrific rearview camera, blind spot monitoring, front and rear park assist, collision alert and much more.
Ride and Drive
This sport coupe drives like a dream, handling is incredible, the steering is weighted just right with terrific feedback, and the acceleration is insane. Using the shift paddles enhances an already great BMW driving experience.
Fuel Economy and What You'll Pay
Fuel economy is amazing at 25 in town, 34 on the highway, and 28 overall. Total MSRP as equipped is $67,320 which is in line with its top competitors.
In summary, this is a driver’s car and will put a smile on your face every single time you hit the start button.
- What I Liked Most: The exterior looks and interior comfort, plus acceleration.
- What I would change: This car should have the xDrive as standard equipment.
- MSRP: $56,700 base price, $67,320 as equipped with transportation.
- Fuel Economy: 25 city/34 highway/28 combined.
- Odometer reading when tested: 1,100 miles.
- Weight: 3,858 pounds.
- Spare Tire: None - run flat tires.
- Length-Width-Height: 188” long/72.9” wide/54.6” high.
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 15.6 gallons with the filler on the passenger's side.
- Official Color: San Remo Green Metallic.
- Towing Capacity: N/A.
- 2022 BMW M440i in a few words: A truly enjoyable coupe with a luxury interior that lives up to the Ultimate Driving Machine legacy.
- Warranty: 4-year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper with roadside assistance.
- Final Assembly Location: Dingolfing, Germany
- Manufacturer's website: BMW